Thursday, November 6, 2008

What would you do?

One of my dear friends was, for lack of a better word, mugged the other night. She was leaving her condo (a converted schoolhouse, very cool), walking toward her car AT 7:30 P.M. and as she passed by a regular-looking guy leaning on a BMW he lunged at her and ripped her purse from her arm! Is this a "mugging"? Perhaps a purse snatching. No mind. She, thankfully, was unharmed. Pretty rattled, of course.

What was surprising to us both was her reaction. Her first thought was that he was going to grab HER and throw her in the car. She didn't use any profanity, she didn't chase after him. As he grabbed the purse, she yelled, "What are you doing?". Then she watched her beautiful, fabulously metallic purse shimmer in the street lights as the perp ran down the street. :(

Thankfully, she had her keys in her other hand.

Have you ever rehearsed a similar scenario in your head? Where you use your best kung-fu moves, or a swift kick to the you-know-what to ward off anyone with bad intentions. What do you think you would have done?

I hope to never have to learn what I would have done in such a situation.

Maybe you've had a similar experience though. Did your reaction surprise you? Do tell.

The good news? The purse was found the next day with everything intact - except for the digital camera!

1 comment:

Jo said...

How scary! I've never had anything like that happen to me,thankfully. There have been a couple of times that I have felt uncomfortable about a person or situation. I like to think that I can take care of myself but reailty is, men are stronger.

What a relief that your friend is safe and sound!

Jo