Sunday, September 21, 2008

Summer's end salad

Sunday is my favorite day to cook. It's a bit of a ritual in our home to have "Sunday dinner" - something really yummy, indulgent, and of course, including dessert. But today, I also added "Sunday lunch" after assessing the dwindling bounty in my little garden.

Precious little grape tomatoes, and a lovely bit of basil...
Cute-as-a-button yellow teardrop tomatoes...what shall I do with these?

A simple Panzanella would be the perfect fit. So I also harvested a chubby little cucumber, threw in some red and green peppers, capers, and some red onion - that someone else grew for me. Now for the bread. I had some seeded variety on hand, and that would do. Into the skillet with you!It was delicious. And my summer tomato cravings will soon give way to something less healthy...like mashed potatoes. But until then, here's a peak at the finished product.

Okay, I can't resist sharing these with you too. While they didn't make it into the salad, the color of these habaneros is so beautiful, I felt them deserving of their very own photo!

1 comment:

k e r r y said...

Are those croutons you're making? How? I've always wanted to know how!