Tuesday, March 2, 2010

faux risotto

2AW9CMEX6PZQ Spring must be on many minds today. I had a hankering for asparagus risotto, but didn't have the time at lunch to whip up one up. So I faked it. And as I sit here and enjoy my faux risotto, I have to laugh. You see, Cindy, over at Figs, Lavender and Cheese (over there, on the right) apparently had a similar craving.

A nice little burst of lemon zest, a salty bite of pecorino, asparagus and peas. Does it get more spring-y than that? What's that? There's still snow on the ground? Well, this lunch has momentarily transported me to warmer weather and emerging daffodils. It was yummy, and I dare say "light"! Best of all...no stirring!

 

Insalata di Riso (or as it shall now be known in my house, Faux Spring Risotto)
very loosely interpreted from Michael Chiarello

I halved this for a generous single serving
1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into spoon-size bites
1/2-1 cup peas
2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp lemon juice
Olive Oil
Italian parsley, chopped (as much or as little as you like)
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1/4 cup diced Pecorino Romano

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Cook for 15 minutes. In the last 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, add asparagus and peas to blanch.

Drain well and return to pot. Add lemon zest, parsley, cheese, olive oil and lemon juice. Toss well to blend. Season with S&P.

Some chopped basil would be a nice addition. You can also make this ahead and toss with the olive oil and lemon juice just before serving.

No comments: