Monday, February 22, 2010

wine school

As a lover of all things wine, and in particular Chardonnay, I was super-excited to hone my tasting skills when a local wine bar announced they were starting wine school! What I realized after class #1 is....

my tasting skills suck.

Does anyone know what a "wet meadow" tastes like? How about leather? Or tar. Seriously? TAR?

So, there are clearly numerous nuances you can detect in a glass of wine. Here's the starter list for red wine:
Berry - strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, currant
Tree Fruit - red cherry, black cherry, plum
Dried Fruit - jam, raisin, prune
Floral - violet, rose petal, lilac
Herbal - bell pepper, olive, sage, mint, anise, tobacco
Earth - mushroom, tar, truffle (here's where the good ole wet meadow comes in...or perhaps barnyard - yum)
Meat -  smoked meat, bacon, leather
Spice - cinnamon, clove, black pepper, white pepper
Wood - vanilla, oak, smoke, toast
Other - chocolate, coffee

Now, not every wine will have every one of these elements. But I may have to start licking, smelling or eating some of these things in order to be able to smell them in my Cabernet!

No comments: