Tuesday, December 30, 2008

heaven in a pasta bowl

Butternut squash, pancetta, and cheese. How bad can this be, I thought. Seven or so ingredients, simple enough for a weekday meal. Sold! I shall make this tomorrow.

Those were just some of the thoughts going through my head last night as I watched the "Martha Stewart Show". I know, I know. But I was intrigued by all the NYC chefs she was featuring. I'm happy I stuck around. The first chef, Scott Conant, owner of Scarpetta, made this little, tantalizing concoction that I just had to tell you about, because I just ate it. Perhaps the perfect fall dish, but trust me, you can make it now and be oh-so-happy that you did. Pair with a nice bottle of, oh, I don't know...maybe Martin Ray Chardonnay and you'll be all set.

Penne with roasted butternut squash pancetta, and sage
loosely adapted from Scott Conant

1 medium (appx 2-1/4 lbs.) butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 to 4 tbsp olive oil
Coarse salt (kosher will work)
3/4 lb penne pasta (a box of whole grain fits the bill)
1/4 - 1/2 lb pancetta, sliced 1/4 inch thick and finely chopped
2 shallots, thinly sliced crosswise (I didn't have shallots and so used 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced and 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced)
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
10 fresh sage leaves, coarsely chopped or torn
1/2 cup finely grated pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for serving (a MUST!)
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place squash on a baking sheet and toss with 1 to 2 tbsp of olive oil and season with kosher salt. Roast in oven until squash is browned and tender - between 15 and 30 minutes depending on your oven.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Generously salt water and add pasta. Cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water and drain. Set aside.

Meanwhile, heat 1 to 2 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low. Add pancetta and cook until just crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Add shallots (or my substitute), crushed red pepper, and sage. Cook until shallots are soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add squash and penne and toss gently. Add reserved pasta cooking liquid a little at a time until moistened to your liking.

Toss in cheese and black pepper and mix gently. Serve immediately with more grated Pecorino - YUM!

No comments: